Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Trader Joe's Quinoa Duo


Saw this at TJ's the other day and thought it would be a good side dish for some fish or something. However... it was the weekend, I was hungry, lazy and impatient, and ended up cooking and eating the entire bag by itself.

If you've never had quinoa before, it's like a grain-rice-corn hybrid thing and is fluffy and slightly crunchy. It's one of those things that you probably never had unless you have a vegetarian/vegan friend, or are one yourself.


As you probably see, this has bits of zucchini and sweet potato mixed in, as well as a bunch of seasonings. I swore I tasted a hint of cinnamon, but there wasn't any. Funny thing is that I think the same exact thing every time I make TJ's penne pasta... which makes absolutely no sense. Anyway, this Quinoa is super easy to make, just dump it in a covered bowl and microwave. If I recall correctly, quinoa is one of those things that takes awhile to cook normally, so this is much better. Also, I don't ever see myself cooking it from scratch in the first place.

I would recommend it though, just don't eat the entire bag by yourself like I did.

5 comments:

  1. You can make quinoa in a rice cooker. It doesn't take that long at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But does it cook in less than 5 minutes in a rice cooker? I DON'T THINK SO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can make quinoa in a microwave. It doesn't take that long at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For regular quinoa, you just need to add hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes or so (while you cook other things, assuming). Seriously. It's that easy. Faster than rice. Also, quinoa is a very old mid-eastern grain. Definitely not a hybrid, and it's better for you nutritionally than corn or rice! Quick and easy? It's like a gift.

    Also, I've tried this stuff and love it, too. Great as a meal or a side. win-win-win.

    ReplyDelete